Have You Been Charged With DUI?
Chula Vista driving under the influence (DUI) attorney Troy Owens is dedicated to providing aggressive criminal defense for clients who are facing serious charges. Having handled thousands of cases, he has the knowledge, skills and resources to fight to protect your rights and freedom.
At The Law Office of Troy P. Owens, Jr., we understand that being arrested and charged for DUI can turn your life upside down. Not only are you facing large fines that you cannot afford and jail time that will make you miss work but also the long-term suspension of your driver’s license.
What A DUI Could Cost You
California is known for having some of the harshest DUI penalties in the country. Like other states, anyone found operating a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) level of .08% or higher will be charged with a DUI offense. The limit is .02% for underage drivers. Drivers who test at .16% BAC or higher are charged with aggravated DUI and subject to enhanced penalties.
In general, the penalties for DUI are determined based on the number of previous offenses. The sentencing can also be affected by whether the violation led to the injury or death of others.
When damages are minor, the alleged offender can be charged with a misdemeanor or DUI with injury. When DUI leads to serious injuries or death, it can be charged as a felony DUI. An individual may also be charged with a felony DUI if he or she has three or more DUI convictions within a 10-year period.
The penalties for DUI in California include:
- First offense DUI: A $390 to $1,000 fine, up to six months in jail and a maximum six-month license suspension
- Second offense DUI: A $390 to $1,000 fine, up to one year in jail and a maximum two-year license suspension
- Third offense DUI: A $390 to $1,000 fine, up to one year in jail and a maximum three-year license suspension
- Fourth offense + DUI felony: A $390 to $1,000 fine, up to three years in jail and a maximum four-year license suspension
- Injury DUI: A $390 to $5,000 fine, up to one year in jail and one- to three-year license suspension
Added consequences of a DUI can include ignition interlock device installation, suspension of professional licenses, a criminal record and higher insurance rates.
Begin Fighting Your DUI Charges Today
The Law Office of Troy P. Owens, Jr., is here to help you take action against the charges you are facing. When you contact our Chula Vista DUI attorney, you can work one-on-one with a defense lawyer who is dedicated to keeping you out of jail and on the road.